Cooking In The Grove

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Burritos!!!

My meatloaf and potatoes were awesome! Jon really liked them too!

Last night I had planned to make a sausage dish from the left over sausage from Monday night. Jon called and said he "really needs some pizza." Of course, I gave in, it's hard to say no to him :) Plus, he needed some desperate sleep, so it was way faster to pick up pizza instead. And come on, DJ's Pizza is awesome. I picked up 1/2 a veggie sub and it was pretty good too.

Tonight I called Jon and asked him what he wanted: Sausage or Burritos. He said burritos, so I was happy. I'm not a huge sausage fan when its by itself. If it's mixed in other meat, that's fine.

My burritos were so good! I don't always like them when I make them, but I totally made them perfect tonight! No more changing that recipe!

1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 taco seasoning mix
2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked
Flour Tortillas
Cheddar Cheese
Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder)
Drizzle of Oil
Extras of your choice (I like green peppers in my burritos)

Jon likes his burritos plain. No frills, just chicken with cheese and sauce on top. I enjoy peppers, onions, and rice in mine. When I'm home I usually just do the chicken and some peppers.
I used frozen chicken breasts. I cooked them first in a pot with salted water. While those were cooking I heated up my enchilada sauces and 3/4 of my taco seasoning packet. I have a recipe for homemade taco seasoning which I plan to make soon.
Once the chicken was done cooking, I shredded it. I didn't really know how to do it, but the way I did worked great. I placed one fork in the middle of my chicken breast, and kind of dug at the chicken with the other fork. It created really nice small strandish pieces of chicken. I seasoned the chicken then put in a fry pan. I poured a small amount of my sauce in to get it just all coated. Once it was all coated, I put it on a plate and stored it in the microwave.
In the same fry pan, I drizzled just a dab of oil to coat the bottom. I sliced up my green peppers and cooked those for just a few minutes. I scooped those out and set them to the side.
Next, I took my tortilla and placed each side in the oil for just a few seconds. I saw this done on Rachel Ray so I thought I would do it too.
Lastly, I stuffed my shells with the chicken. I didn't put any sauce or cheese in the actual burrito. I rolled those babies up and placed them seam side down. I covered them with cheese, my sauce, and more cheese. Into the oven they went for 10 minutes at 400 degrees; just enough to melt the cheese.
Holy smokes were they so good! They were by far the best burritos I ever made. I scarfed it down, not leaving any time for a picture.

Let me know if you make them and how they turn out!